With a new year, many people make resolutions for a happier, healthier life! For many, this resolution may be to stop smoking. This is no easy task, but thankfully, there are lots of tools available to quit smoking with acupuncture being one of them!
A specific acupuncture protocol has been developed to target nicotine addiction as well as other addictions. The NADA (National Acupuncture Detoxification Association) protocol includes 5 points on the ear. The entire body is depicted on the ear, so using points on the ear can be extremely effective for treating the whole body. The NADA protocol includes these points on the ear:
- Shenmen – reduces stress and anxiety. Promotes overall relaxation.
- Sympathetic – balances the sympathetic and parasympathetic nervous systems and improves circulation.
- Lung – focuses on lung health and addiction related lung issues.
- Liver – promotes detoxification.
- Kidney – seen as the root of Qi. Promotes overall health and balance in the body, physically and emotionally.
This point combination powerfully combats cravings while also creating overall balance in the body to reduce associated symptoms like anxiety, weight gain, irritability, and restlessness. Additional points will be added to the treatment based on your unique presentation.
Often, a series of treatments will be needed to continue supporting the body through the detoxification process. Acupuncture can be combined with many other tools including nicotine patches, gums, lozenges, etc. to help you reach your goal! To stop smoking is not easy task, but this new year, approach your resolutions with the support of acupuncture!